Buying a used RV can be a great way to save money while still enjoying the benefits of RV travel. However, it’s important to approach the buying process with caution and do your research to ensure you’re getting a good deal and a reliable vehicle.
First, decide on your budget and what features are important to you. Make a list of must-haves and nice-to-haves and keep this in mind as you shop. Next, research different models and manufacturers to get a sense of what’s available and what the typical prices are for RVs of that type and age.
When you’ve found a few RVs that fit your criteria, it’s important to thoroughly inspect them before making a purchase. Look for signs of wear and tear, such as leaks, cracks, or rust. Check the condition of the tires, brakes, and other mechanical components. Ask to see maintenance records and ask about any repairs or upgrades that have been made.
It’s also a good idea to take the RV on a test drive to see how it handles and to check for any unusual noises or vibrations. If possible, have a professional mechanic inspect the RV before you buy it.
When you’re ready to make a purchase, be sure to review the RV’s title and registration to ensure that it’s clear and that the seller is the legal owner. It’s also a good idea to purchase an extended warranty to protect yourself against unexpected repairs.
Finally, remember that buying a used RV is a significant investment, so be sure to take your time and do your research to ensure that you’re getting a good deal and a reliable vehicle. With the right approach, you can find a great used RV that will provide you with many happy memories of your travels.
10 things to look for when buying a used RV
- Overall condition of the RV: Look for signs of wear and tear, such as leaks, cracks, or damage to the exterior or interior.
- Age and mileage of the RV: Consider the age of the RV and how many miles it has been driven. This can give you an idea of how well the RV has been maintained and how much life is left in it.
- The condition of the roof: Check the roof for any signs of leaks, damage or wear.
- Tires and brakes: Inspect the tires for wear, and check the brakes to make sure they are in good working condition.
- Plumbing and electrical systems: Check that all the plumbing and electrical systems are in good working order and that there are no leaks or other issues.
- Appliances and equipment: Test all the appliances and equipment, such as the refrigerator, stove, and generator, to make sure they are in good working order.
- Interior and exterior storage: Look at the interior and exterior storage compartments to ensure they are in good condition and can hold all your gear.
- The Flooring: Check the flooring inside the RV, and look for any signs of water damage or rotting.
- The Awning: Look for any rips, tears or water damage to the awning.
- Previous owner’s maintenance records: Ask to see the previous owner’s maintenance records to get a better idea of how well the RV has been taken care of.
What is the best way to buy an RV or Motorhome
There are several ways to buy an RV, and the best method for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences. Some options include:
- Buying an RV new from a dealership: This is a good option if you want a brand new RV with a warranty and the latest features. You can also customize your RV to your specific needs.
- Buying used from a dealership: This is a good option if you want to save money and still have the option of a warranty. However, you will have to do your own research to ensure that the RV is in good condition.
- Buying from a private seller: This is a good option if you want to save money and don’t mind buying a used RV without a warranty. You will have to do your own research to ensure that the RV is in good condition.
- Renting an RV before you buy: This can be a good option if you’re not sure if you’re ready for the commitment of owning an RV. You can try out different types of RVs and see what you like before you buy.
- Online marketplaces like RV Trader, RVT or Facebook Marketplaces : You can find a variety of RVs for sale on these platforms, and you can also see reviews and ratings of the sellers, which can help you make a more informed decision.
Ultimately, the best way to buy an RV is the one that gives you the most confidence in your purchase, fits your budget, and meets your needs.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click a product link and buy anything from the merchant, we will receive a small commission fee that helps support the channel. The price you pay remains the same, affiliate link or not. Thank you!